Brampton Apparatus and Maintenance Facility
LEED® Silver Certified (Targeted)
The Apparatus and Maintenance Division of the Brampton Fire & Emergency Services (BFES) is responsible for the inspection, maintenance and testing of the City's firefighting vehicle and equipment. The Division's existing facility can no longer satisfy the current and future needs of the BFES, which has to meet the increasing demand of emergency services in a rapidly growing city. The new Brampton Apparatus and Maintenance Facility is a response to the challenge.
The new facility is located on a site that was occupied by a municipal operations centre previously. The site accommodates a 33,000 SF building and a 1,300 SF outdoor fire hose testing faculty.
The new building consists of a 2-storey administration portion and a 1-storey maintenance portion, as well as a storage mezzanine. The following functions are accommodated:
• Offices for the Division Chief, the Assistant Division Chiefs and administration staff
• Offices for Emergency Vehicle Technicians (EVTs), Emergency Equipment Technicians (EETs), Supply and Equipment Officers (SEOs)
• Training room, lounge, fitness room and change rooms
• Secured central storage of parts and supplies
• Six (6) tandem apparatus repair bays with tailpipe exhaust system, overhead crane, vehicle lifts and in-ground hoist; the open floor plan with a 32' clear height accommodates inspections and repairs of fully extended ladders of aerial trucks in an indoor environment
• Storage rooms for oil and lubricants, compressor, tools, fire hoses and equipment
• Fabrication shop
• Central laundry facility for personal protective equipment (PPE)
The fire hose testing facility consists of a open canopy and an underground water tank (draft pit) with the appurtenance that are designed to suit the specific testing procedures.
The entire facility is supported by a standby emergency power supply system for over 30 hours. This ensures that the maintenance work can continue over prolonged power outage, which is essential in facilitating uninterrupted fire emergency services for the community.
The new Brampton Apparatus and Maintenance Facility is designed to the LEED® Canada New Construction Major Renovation 2009 Rating System and is targeting a minimum LEED® Silver rating.